With all the bad weather in California this year, lettuce prices are through the roof, so I bought some cabbage yesterday.
Raw cabbage has a plastic texture even though it’s good for you. Boiling or steaming cabbage does nothing for the flavor in my opinion. So I decided to roast it. Bingo! This is truly fantastic and can be eaten by itself or mixed with a variety of recipes.
Basic Roasted Cabbage Recipe
- Pre-heat the toaster oven or oven (depending on how much you are making) to 400º.
- Julienne the cabbage like you are making coleslaw.
- Place cabbage on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Add salt for flavor enhancement.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast cabbage in oven for about 10 minutes. Watch it closely. Julienned veggies roast quickly.
Serve as a side dish, under your corned beef or in this Brussel Sprouts & Bacon Salad Recipe (substitute for lettuce).